Fecal API Screening for PLE
Recommended but OPTIONAL
Early diagnosis of protein-losing enteropathy (PLE) in the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier is challenging. Many cases show no clinical signs. The Fecal Alpha1-Proteinase Inhibitor (API) test has proven to be a valuable screening tool for intestinal protein loss in Wheatens even before other clinical signs develop. It is recommended that you screen your Wheaten annually for PLE. If any of the results are consistent with protein loss, semi-annual screening is recommended to further monitor for PLE.
NOTE: The Gastrointestinal Lab at Texas A&M will only accept kits obtained through SCWTCA or from Vets who order tubes directly from the GI Lab. They will not accept makeshift containers from owners that may contain improper tubes, paperwork, etc. Results of your dog’s Fecal API will be sent to you within 48 hours of testing.
PLE Screening Collection Kit
- Three (3) small (lab pre-weighed) brown-top tubes
- Three (3) small plastic leveler sticks
- Submission form, GI Lab label, Fed Ex shipping label & easy instructions
- Engineer-designed, custom Styrofoam container, high quality gel packs & custom shipping box
- Collection Kits may be ordered through the SCWTCA Endowment