Health Article Archives : Benchmarks 1996-2004
Benchmarks is the SCWTCA quarterly magazine. This is an online index to all health-related articles published 1996-2004. The authors include veterinary researchers, veterinary medicine practitioners, and experienced Wheaten owners.
Information on this website is no substitute for consultation with your veterinarian, especially considering the age of these articles.
- Addison’s Disease or Hypoadrenocorticism
– Larson, Helen. (Benchmarks: December 2000)
An explanation of Addison’s disease, its occurrence in Wheatens, guidelines for screening and for management of affected dogs.
- Addison’s Missed Too Often, Survey Says
– Veterinary Practice News. (Benchmarks: December 2003)
A summary of a survey conducted for Novartis Animal Health of owners whose dogs have hypoadrenocorticism and how long it took for the disease to be diagnosed.
- Do Food Allergies Cause PLE/PLN in Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers?
– Vaden, Shelly. (Benchmarks: March 2000)
A description of studies of food hypersensitivities, mast cell functions, and treatment trials in the SCTW and SCWT/Beagle colony at North Carolina State University.
- PLE/PLN in Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers
– Vaden, Shelly. (Benchmarks: December 1997)
A paper presented at the 1997 AKC Canine Health Conference describing research into PLE/PLN at North Carolina State University, expounding on the hypothesis that PLE/PLN in Wheatens is caused by food hypersensitivities.
- Protein-Losing Enteropathy and Protein-Losing Nephropathy of Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers
– Vaden, Shelly. (Benchmarks: December 1998)
A clinical explanation of PLE/PLN, their manifestations, recommendations for testing, and a discussion of food hypersensitivity in relation to PLE/PLN with recommendations for dietary management.
- Auto-Immune Hemolytic Anemia Treated With Human Gamma-Globulin (I. V.)
– Linnemayer, David. (Benchmarks: March 1997)
A case study of a dog with auto-immune hemolytic anemia unresponsive to traditional treatment and a description of successful treatment with human gamma-globulin.
- Relationship Between Canine Thyroid Dysfunction and Aberrant Behavior
– Dodds, Jean. (Benchmarks: September 2002)</em
A summary of a study of 1500+ dogs with undesirable behaviors in which a significant relationship was found between thyroid dysfunction and such behaviors and/or seizures. Dr. Dodds emphasizes the importance of thyroid testing for dogs with behavior problems and notes that treatment provided marked improvement.
- Eye Disorders in the SCWT: July 2000
– Azerolo, Elaine. (Benchmarks: September 2000)
A presentation of the eye disorders found in Wheaten Terriers, based on statistics from CERF dating from 1991-1999.
- Hereditary Eye Disease in Wheatens
– Azerolo, Elaine. (Benchmarks: December 2002)
A summary of CERF statistics for 2000-2001 documenting hereditary eye disease causing loss of vision in Wheaten Terriers.
- Hereditary Eye Disease Update: CERF Statistics for 2002 and 2003
– Azerolo, Elaine. (Benchmarks: June 2004)
A detailed explanation of eye disorders found in Wheatens during examinations for CERF certification in 2002 and 2004.
- Canine Eye Registry Foundation
BM 28.2 (June 2000): 21-22
– CERF. (Benchmarks: June 2000)
An explanation of what the Canine Eye Registry Foundation is, how it works, and of its importance.
- Construction of Genetic Map for Dogs (Canine Genome)
– Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. (Benchmarks: September 1998)
A discussion of the ongoing work in mapping the canine genome at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
- Senior Health Evaluation
– Ford, Merrillee. (Benchmarks: June 2003)
An explanation of the importance of evaluating and monitoring the health of older dogs. Included are the types of appropriate veterinary procedures and a list of symptoms for which the owner should be alert.
- Cornell Survey on XX Sex Reversal (Hermaphroditism)
– Meyers-Wallen VMD PhD, Vicki N. (Benchmarks: September 1997)
An explanation of hermaphroditism or XXSR (XX sex reversal), which appears in Wheatens, and of the study of XXSR being undertaken at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine.
- OFA & PennHIP Information
– Eichman, Kathy. (Benchmarks: June 2003)
A summary of OFA statistics for Wheatens (hip, elbow, patella, thyroid, cardiac) from 1975-2002, along with a listing of PennHIP breeding recommendations.
- PennHIP Method of Hip Evaluation
– Jeitles VMD, George G. (Benchmarks: September 1997)
An explanation of the PennHIP method of screening for canine hip dysplasia and a comparison between it and the OFA method.
- Questions and Answers about PennHIP
– Ubbink, Jolijne. (Benchmarks: June 1996)
An overview of the PennHIP method of screening for canine hip dysplasia.
- From People Remedy to Pet Cure: Drugstore Medications That Are Safe for Your Animal – and Those You Should Steer Clear Of
– Lin, Judith. (Benchmarks: June 1998)
Home Remedies for simple health problems in pets.
- Interpreting Laboratory Test Results
– Beers DVM, Wendy. (Benchmarks: September 1998)
A brief discussion of the laboratory values most significant in testing Wheaten Terriers.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Fecal API & Urine MA Tests
– Carlson, Carol. (Benchmarks: December 2002)
Questions posed to Dr. Shelly Vaden, along with her answers, about the use of Fecal API and urine Microalbuminuria (MA) tests.
- Fecal API – New Test for Dogs with PLE
– Trogdon, Maureen. (Benchmarks: March 1998)
A description of the fecal API test.
- SCWTCA Health Conference at Keystone (July 2003)
– Carraway, Jana. (Benchmarks: September 2003)
Excerpts from the presentations at the SCWT Health Conference held at Keystone Resort, Colorado, in July 2003. Included are Dr. Wendy Beers’ presentation on the anatomy of the gastrointestinal tract; highlights of Dr. Meryl Littman’s presentation on PLN/PLE, RD and Addison’s disease; Dr. Paula Henthorn’s Genetics Primer; Dr. Shelly Vaden’s summary of her work with the Wheaten/Beagle colony, fecal API testing, and MA testing; and Anna Marzolino’s presentation on record keeping using HealthTracker.
- SCWTCA Health Forum (2003)
– Carraway, Jana. (Benchmarks: December 2003)
A summary of the SCWTCA Health Forum held in Philadelphia in October, 2003. Emphasis is placed on the presentations of Dr. Urs Giger concerning genetics and of Dr. David Williams about gastrointestinal function and testing. There is also information about the Canine Health Information Center (CHIC).
- SCWTCA Health Activities 1976-2003
– Holden, Emily. Carlson, Carol. (Benchmarks: March 2004)
Highlights of SCWTCA’s activities concerning health issues from 1976-2003.
- Update on Vaccine Issues and Titer Testing
– Dodds, Jean. (Benchmarks: March 2004)
A discussion of vaccine reactions, protocols, and titer testing.
- Vaccination Issues of Concern to Dog Owners: Part I
– Mansfield, Philip D. (Benchmarks: September 2000)
A discussion of the importance of various vaccinations, immunization schedules and proposed changes to vaccination protocols.
- Vaccination Issues of Concern to Dog Owners: Part II
– Mansfield, Philip D. (Benchmarks: March 2001)
A discussion of non-core vaccines (kennel cough, leptospirosis, coronavirus, giardiasis, Lyme disease) and their risk factors.
- Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Health Quiz
– Beers, Wendy. (Benchmarks: June 2001)
A quiz about Wheaten health issues.